Public Reception: 5-6:30 p.m., Thursday, March 29, NIU Art Museum
Memories of India @ SFO Museum at the San Francisco International Airport
LightField’s 2nd Festival of multimedia art, presents the work of six distinguished artists. In different ways, their visual projects look past common perceptions and stereotypes to delve into the real lives of people largely invisible to mainstream culture. These artists are unflinching in their engagement with working class people of all ethnicities, who day-to-day face challenges to their humanity and dignity from within and without their communities.
By presenting their work in one venue (Hudson Hall), and in innovative, multifaceted displays, Just the Facts asserts the potency of the art’s subject matter, and also aims to explore how the realism on the artworks’ surface creates lively, nuanced entry points to broader conversations.
Those entry points include:
– the agency of the disenfranchised individual in American society;
– the prospect of social, economic, and political upheavals now dominating secular life;
– the myth of documentary objectivity;
– the ways in which globalization and technology have left many individuals and families behind;
– and the ways in which immigrants have become the focus of insecurity and fear worldwide.
curated by Jaishri Abichandani